Wednesday, February 6, 2008

No Willpower? No Problem.

Last year I got a motivational calendar by Kim Bensen. She had this motivational piece that I have kept and taped up by my desk so that I can read it often. I though that I would share it with you.

No Willpower? No problem

Having trouble sticking with your diet or exercise routine? Think you don't have enough enough willpower to ever finish what you started? Willpower isn't all that it is cracked up to be. The goal isn't to be able to stand painfully in the face of temptation for hours on end without caving in. Willpower is a great last resort, but how much better to have planned your way around temptation. Let me give you a few substitutes for willpower; planning, preperation, distraction, busyness, sleeping, sharing, praying, activity, and purging your space of temptation. Pick one and give it a try. The point is, sometimes it's not as crucial to be strong in sticking to your diet as it is smart. With willpower the POWER isn't the inportant thing: it is the WILLing that counts.

Thanks Kim. I hope that this helps you as it has helped me.

4 comments:

Hanlie said...

The whole willpower myth is something that's been on my mind for a while now! This sums it up brilliantly! Thanks!

Scale Junkie said...

excellent post, thank you so much for sharing this with us!

HappyBlogChick said...

Wow, that is SO true. Thanks for sharing!

Dora said...

Oh, I like that. I am going to put that next to my desk too.

It should help with not only getting healthy (I don't use the term losing weight) and will help me with my law firm.

I need to plan to get more clients and sometimes, I don't have the willpower - this will keep me invigorated.

Thanks Bethy.....